The Cape Fear Flyers may grant registration fee scholarships to children who without this financial assistance would not be able to participate in one of the Cape Fear Flyers programs. The Cape Fear Flyers scholarship program focuses on providing opportunities for area youth to participate in team running sports because of the physical, mental, and character-training benefits these programs can provide. Scholarships are only available to cover the cost of registration for Track and Field and Cross Country teams and are not available to cover any additional costs (uniforms, equipment, tournaments, etc.).
Scholarship requests must be submitted to the Cape Fear Flyers no later than two (2) weeks prior to the regular registration deadline. Scholarships will not be awarded until one week prior to the registration deadline. The scholarship committee, which includes the Cape Fear Flyers President, the Scholarship Administrator and one other Cape Fear Flyer Board Member, will consider all complete applications received by the application deadline. The amount of the scholarship awarded (if any) may be a partial or full scholarship depending on the number applicants, and amount of scholarship funds available. Scholarships are awarded for one sport per registrant and are only valued for one sport at a time, therefore, individuals registrants must reapply for each sport and year they are requesting assistance.
Cape Fear Flyers is a non-profit organization with a very limited amount of funding available for scholarship athletes. No guarantee of assistance is implied in this application. If the number of applications submitted and approved exceeds the amount available; the scholarships shall be awarded by a lottery system.
Requirements for eligibility:
- Athlete must be age 18 or younger and must reside within the Cape Fear Flyers territory.
- Commitment to attend a minimum of 85% of scheduled practices and games.
- Participation by an adult family member in at least 15 hours of voluntary service to Cape Fear Flyers during the sport season. Volunteer work will be under the direction of the Cape Fear Flyers Spirit Club leader.
- Application must be completed by a parent, guardian, or head of household, with all requested information provided. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The application is available for download from the bottom of this page.
Consideration will be given to eligible youth meeting one or more of the criteria below. The more information you can provide us the better able we will be to determine hardship. A written request is required.
- Written recommendation by school representatives, social workers, youth community center workers, or other social services representatives.
- Documentation demonstrating an immediate financial hardship
Cape Fear Flyers does not discriminate based on gender, race, class, economic status, ethnic background, sexual orientation, physical ability, or cultural and religious backgrounds.
reference **Please Note: Approval of a scholarship does not register the participant in the activity. You must still register the athlete in the sport desired.