USA Track & Field (USATF) is the National Governing Body for track & field, long-distance running and race walking in the United States. USATF encompasses the world’s oldest organized sports, the most-watched events of Olympic broadcasts, the No. 1 high school and junior high school participatory sport and more than 30 million adult runners in the United States. USATF is a volunteer-driven, not-for-profit organization.
USA Track & Field drives competitive excellence and popular engagement in our sport.
A Sport for Everyone … For Life!
When we say that USATF is a “Sport for Everyone … For Life,” we mean exactly that. Just a few of the ways we serve our sport include:
- Establishing grassroots programs, such as the Junior Olympics, to help develop future stars.
- Promoting programs of training and competition for boys and girls of all ages.
- Establishing and enforcing the rules and regulations of our sport.
- Sanctioning more than 4,000 events each year.
- Providing insurance to sanctioned events, member clubs and member-athletes.
- Certifying race courses for accuracy and validating records.
Nearly 100,000 Americans are members of USATF. Our member organizations include the U.S. Olympic Committee, NCAA, NAIA, Road Runners Club of America, Running USA and the National Federation of State High School Associations. Fifty-seven USATF Associations oversee the sport and its 2,500 clubs at the local level.